The Power of Sport (In a Nutshell)
“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to unite in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers. It laughs in the face of all types of discrimination.”
The Power of Sport (Positives)
- There are many positives in sport; generally, people who participate in sport are resilient and have a good self-esteem. It helps build confidence.
- Team sports teach people to trust each other, which can help a person socially.
- A person can learn about belief in yourself and to have respect for your fellow human being.
- Even watching a press conference can be inspiring, which wouldn’t be possible without technology.
- Put the best interests of a group ahead of your own.
The Power of Sport (Negatives)
- The win at all costs mentality has infiltrated its way into the sporting industry.
- Success in sport is associated with winning. Winning shouldn’t be everything.
The Power of Sport (Final Thoughts)
- If a team/person doesn’t win, but performs to their optimum level, that’s all that can be asked of them.
- Participating should be enough satisfaction as sport can be considered therapeutic.
- It’s what’s associated with sport that matters; galvanising, belief, humility and courage can all arise from participating in sport.
- It is an inspiring activity that can motivate you; either as a participant or even a fan watching on the television.
- Sport can help you make new friends.
- It teaches people that perfection is impossible to obtain.