Skip to content
Technology in Sports (In a Nutshell)
- Without technology it would be impossible to watch sport from the comfort of your own home.
- It’s utilized in sport to reach the correct decision, if the umpire or referee is unsure.
- It can be as simple as GPS tracker monitoring an athlete’s performance.
- Technology can help an athlete improve their personal display.
- It makes collecting data for sporting teams easier.
- Technology can even help change the components of a tennis racquet!
- Without technology in sport it wouldn’t be possible to track performances.
What makes Technology in Sports so Important?
- It has been the only way to view sporting events at times; ie if you live in a different city to where the sporting event is being play played in.
- There’s no such thing as perfection; sports science can be used to improve elements of an athlete’s performance.
- Even watching a press conference can be inspiring, which wouldn’t be possible without technology.
- Hawkeye is used in 2 sports; tennis and cricket.
- In tennis Hawkeye is utilized to determine whether a ball has gone out or not.
- In cricket Hawkeye is used to determine whether a batsman is out LBW or not. This is done by tracking the course in which the ball would have travelled.
Goal Line Technology
- Goal Line Technology is used in football.
- It determines whether the ball has crossed the goal line or not. For a goal to stand the whole of the ball must have been determined to have crossed the line.
Goal Review System
- The Goal Review System is used in AFL.
- It’s used to judge whether the entire ball has crossed the line.
- The System can also review whether a mark has been taken prior to the ball crossing the line in its entirety.
Technology in Sport (Final Thoughts)
- We are better off with technology in sport than without it.
- Performance analysis has been improved as there are more ways of measuring certain things pertaining to fitness levels in particular.
- Fans can’t only watch the sport, they can now review it at the same time, thanks to technology.
- On the whole technology improves decisions made on outcomes; ie Hawkeye etc.
- We have also seen the introduction of fantasy sports, which is based on stats. It’s extremely enjoyable experience.
- Online Gambling has also been introduced (Gamble Reponsibly).