Coaching a Team Sport (In a Nutshell)
- Someone who teaches the team how to play the game.
- The person that implements a game plan for the team to adhere to.
- A coach must not have favourites and should treat everyone the same.
- It’s practically impossible to like and approve of everything a player does.
- A good coach can make a team of below average players good.
- A bad coach can be detrimental to a team of good players.
- Coaching has many aspects in today’s times; find out what they are!
What Traits Do You Need to Coach in Modern Times?
- A good Coach needs to know how to deal effectively with the media.
- Someone who is endearing to the fans, in the way they come across in press conferences.
- They need to be humble, but have a strong belief in their style of play and their playing group.
- In modern times there are a number of Coaches, including assistant Coaches.
- The Coach needs to know their strengths and weaknesses.
- It’s essential that they only deal with the players in an authentic manner.
What Characteristics ensure a Coach is Good?
- Being aware of the strengths and weaknesses of players.
- They must have different expectations for various players as no person is the same.
- Someone that addresses the players weaknesses in a direct and effective manner.
- It must be clear what they want the role of their players to be. Sometimes players that are good role players are better than talented players!
- Don’t be scared to drop your best player or put them on the bench; it can send a message to the rest of the team.
A Coach in a Team Sport (Final Thoughts)
- Coaching isn’t all about winning.
- It’s more important to perform at an optimum level than to merely focus on winning.
- They must treat the media with respect.
- No person is better than anyone else; treat all players with respect.
- Sometimes you learn more from losing than from winning!
- The fact that a Coach has been successful from a results perspective doesn’t always make them a good coach.
- Winning championships, titles or Premierships shouldn’t make a Coach arrogant.