I have chosen four sports people that have been resilient. The adversity that they have all dealt with is truly inspirational. The four sports people that I have chosen are Tom Mitchell, Moises Henriques, Brett Ratten and Jack Higgins.
Tom Mitchell (AFL Footballer- Hawthorn)
- Suffered a broken leg that kept him out for the entire 2019 AFL Season.
- Mitchell has shown a strong character to come back in the form reminiscent of that when he was named the 2018 AFL Brownlow Medal winner.
- Despite coming back from injury Mitchell has had a minimum of 22 disposals after 4 Rounds in AFL Season 2020.
- First and foremost, he is a quality person and good things happen to good people!
Moises Henriques (Cricketer- New South Wales, Sydney Sixers)
- Henriques has had the courage to disclose that his had mental health battles.
- In 2018 Henriques was open about his battle with depression and stepped down as Captain of New South Wales; “Having courage can require giving up certain things. Giving up negative influences.” https://doransport.com/2020/06/27/courage/#more-3708
- Henriques will always be the same person regardless of whether he plays for Australia again or not.
Brett Ratten (AFL Coach- St Kilda)
- Brett Ratten was somewhat unjustly sacked by Carlton in Season 2020, after they failed to make the top 8.
- Ratten didn’t waste any team getting back into footy as he was named as a Hawthorn assistant Coach in 2012; shortly after he got sacked.
- In 2015, Ratten’s 16 year old son was killed in a car crash.
- Ratten was named St KIlda Coach after being caretaker Coach in Season 2018.
- St KIlda currently sit in the top 8 after 4 Rounds as Ratten is a good Coach!
Jack Higgins (AFL Footballer- Richmond)
- Higgins not only survived brain surgery, but came back to play footy at the highest level!
- Not only 1 lot of brain surgery but a second round of brain surgery.
- It’s a miracle his back playing AFL footy.
- Above all else he has such an infectious personality.
- He got what he deserved; he is a quality person that survived an horrific ordeal.